Afraid of the Rides

7/06/2009 09:27:00 AM Posted by noel

I loved carnival rides as a kid, especially roller coasters. But as I grew older, I became afraid of putting myself in danger by indulging in the short-lived thrill of those rides.

When I was young, we only had the Fiesta Carnival in Cubao. Then Big Bang sa Alabang was put up during Christmas seasons. If I'm not wrong, the original Big Bang location is where Honda Cars Alabang is now located. With the success of Big Bang, several other Christmas carnivals sprouted - Payanig sa Pasig, Boom na Boom, Star City, Enchanted Kingdom. Some even made it a regular theme park, and not just a Christmas thing.

I think Payanig sa Pasig had the first incident of a ride tragedy, and several others from other carnivals followed. Nakakatakot.

My last ride was like 6 years ago in Star City. And it was just on a ferris wheel. I was with my nephews and they kinda forced me to join them. I kept praying all throughout the ride and couldn't wait for it to finish, while they literally jumped from one seat to the other to make the cart sway.

Enchanted Kingdom had a mishap a few years back while students in a field trip were there. No one died but it caused trauma to the kids.

We can easily blame Enchanted Kingdom, and go on to saying how careless they were. But accidents really happen.

Even in a world-class theme park.

Walt Disney World had a tragic incident Sunday morning. And it's not even a ride malfunction. A monorail driver died when two trains collided while visitors were leaving the the theme park. Read it here.

A screenie of the collision:


Watch the video taken by a Disney World guest here.

0 comments: