Special Force slash Soldier Front

11/12/2008 10:53:00 PM Posted by noel

Up to now, I'm still getting hits about the Soldier Front (locally known as Special Force) error message "cannot run multiple instances of soldier front" and I can't believe I haven't blogged yet about my analysis on the problem (I kind of did, but it's chopped into multiple posts).

Back to the problem: Soldier Front (or Special Force) will only run on monitors with the screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher. And higher means both horizontal (at least 1024) and vertical (at least 768). Like in my case, I used to play on a 17-inch widescreen Samsung with a maximum resolution of 1440 x 720 and I couldn't run Soldier Front on it. I believed it wasn't my CPU cuz it's still kinda new. So I searched the net for solutions and did what most of them said - install the latest video card driver. I did that despite the fact that my shop computers could run Soldier Front even on old video card driver. And just like what I expected, the "latest driver" thing didn't work.

Until instinct told me to test the game on an old 17-inch CRT monitor (AOC) which has a resolution of 1024 x 768. So I connected the old CRT to my cpu, adjusted the resolution to 1024 x 768 (since it's still trying to display via the 1440 x 720 resolution that my desktop was set to), and after restarting the PC, lo and behold! Soldier Front worked! Just to make sure, I changed the CRT's resolution to a lower one (800 x 600), and yes I was right, the game wouldn't work on a lower resolution.

Right now, I use a 19-inch widescreen LG with the max resolution of 1440 x 990. It cost me a new monitor to play the game, and somehow it is worth it. I don't just play SF, anyway. Cabal and Crazy Kart also looks great on the new LG.


PS: For Windows XP users, if your computer restarts itself upon entering SF, make sure to install a security update from the Microsoft website (or you can Google the file) called WindowsXP-KB926255-x86-ENU.exe...

0 comments: